Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Great Day with Great Results!

Today was a super tiring day, but in the end, it was all good! Mark had his profusion MRI this morning at Baylor North Park. He did fine with it since he had taken some medication to calm his nerves. Once he went back, the tears fell for me, but my mom was with me and comforted me and then I was much better. I don’t know really how to describe the emotions I was having at that point. I know that when Mark was filling out the paperwork and it asked why he was having this scan, he wrote, “Routine for brain cancer”. It just seemed weird. Almost like a dream or something. I have known for over 6 months that Mark has brain cancer, but sometimes it still sounds so crazy to hear that. So I did a real quick, “How could this happen to Mark? Why did it happen to him? How can he have brain cancer when he has not been really sick before? Why BRAIN cancer instead of some other cancer?” Then I was ready to just think as positive as I could, pray, and wait. I spent the hour that Mark was doing the scan cleaning out my purse, talking to my mom and showing her apps on my phone that I think she would like for her new iTouch. Mark looked good when he came out. He was a little loopy and tripped a little on things along the way, but overall he was feeling pretty good. We decided to go to North Park mall across the street for lunch. We all ate in the food court and visited a little. Then we decided to go ahead and go to Baylor Dallas to wait for Mark’s appointment time. We didn’t think to bring previous scans with us, so we dropped off the one he just had done with the office and told them we didn’t bring the last ones. They had to do some work to do a comparison without us taking those. (We promised to never forget past scans again). We went to a lounge area in the hospital and Mark kind of snoozed off and on while my mom and I worked on individual things we had brought with us. Then it was time to go to the doctor’s office. The exam part of the appointment went just fine and Mark answered the questions correctly and did all of the physical things required of him. Then we had to wait a really long time for the doctor to come in. I don’t know how much time it really was, but it seemed like hours. (It was probably 15 minutes or so). I started to pace the floor and I found a brochure for a place that would be perfect for our family and especially our boys. It is like a club for people that have cancer or have family members with cancer. They have sessions for kids that would be great for the boys and a lot of special activities. They have a day camp in the summer for kids and they host a lot of other fun events. The family can just go to this place and the adults can visit with each other while the kids have supervised play. It sounded great! And then I saw that it is FREE! I am so happy I got up to pace today so that I could find out about this place. The doctor finally came in and scolded apologized for taking so long but said it was because we didn’t bring the old scans. She started to put up an MRI sheet on the light board and said, “This is what shows us that the tumor is NOT growing…” I was so very relieved. I know Mark and my mom were too, but I can’t speak for their exact feelings. I just felt so much joy! I wanted to get up and shout “Yea!” but I restrained myself. The doctor showed us how this test today shows if there is any blood flow near the cancer site, and showed us how Mark’s had NO color near that site or anywhere else on his brain! She said that there is no change at all in the scans from last time, which is the best news we can hope for, realistically. (To be honest, I prayed hard last night that God would prove His might by completely filling in the space so that people would have no choice but to give God the glory. I don’t know His reasoning, but He sees the big picture and I don’t, so I will just trust Him.) Anyway, the doctor explained that Mark has been on Chemo for 6 months now, and could technically come off of it now. We all agreed that the Chemo could be the sole cause for the tumor not being able to grow anymore, so we didn’t want to take even a little risk of recurrence. So, for now, Mark will continue taking Chemo 7 days on and 7 days off and he was very slowly start weaning down on some of his anti-seizure meds. Mark is now working on finding the best prices for our trip to London/Paris next month!
The good news didn’t stop at the appointment. When we got home, Mark was surprised with a phone call from Tracy Jones! That is the police officer that he wants so badly to get to meet that we see on TV a lot. He said she was very nice on the phone and they made arrangements for him to get to ride with her next weekend! Mark is more excited than you can imagine about that. Thank you so much to my friend, Krista, and her friend, who was so kind in working this out for him.
Alright, I had such an emotional day that I am feeling physically tired now, so I think I’ll go to bed now. Goodnight to you all and thank you ALL so very much for your prayers! We love you!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Becky,
    my name is Theresa and I'm Krista's friend who helped set up the ride along with Sgt Tracy Jones next week, the truth is it was really an easy task. I'm friends with a fantastic lady whose husband is not only a wonderful man but also a Sgt for the Dallas Police Dept too so a quick email to them, a few phonecalls and Sgt Jones had your number. I'm so thrilled as are all of us involved in setting this up today that we could do something for Mark to make him smile. I read your blog this morning and happened to scroll down and see the posting below and wondered if my friends might be able to help, it all came together from there so quickly.
    Please tell Mark to have a wonderful time, take lots of pictures so we can all see how much fun he has and know we're all continuing to follow your story and pray for your family.
    Theresa xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Becky,
    This is wonderful news! I wasn't sure how long it would take to get the results, but thank you for posting so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful news! May God get all the glory even in the midst of one praise at a time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mark & Becky~

    Fabulous news!! God is AWESOME, and the power of prayer is so strong! Never ever doubt that! We will continue praying for you all on this journey. Please know that the example you are setting is also a lesson in faith to all of us, as well. Thank you for being such good examples for us. We love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Becky,

    We were moved by what we've read here about Mark, and the profound medical problem that has impacted him and your family. Glad you are getting some encouraging news from the doctors recently.

    I noted that one of the things on his short list of things he hopes to do is to meet with Dr. James Dobson sometime. When you are able, please contact me about that; I have reason to think it might be facilitated at some point.

    Meanwhile, our prayers are with you and Mark, and your family. God bless you and keep you.

    Paul H.
    Colorado Springs
    le91375@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete