Friday, April 2, 2010

Home again!

It’s pretty good to be back home. :) There are a couple more challenges with being home than being at the hospital, but it is much more comfortable for sure! Mark isn’t ready to sleep in our bed just yet, so he slept in the recliner in the living room and I slept on the couch next to him so that I could help with anything he needed during the night. We will probably keep this arrangement for the next couple of days.
Colin is at school today and Carter is home with us. I have to work on getting some things done today. One thing is to make a calendar for all of Mark’s medications. He has to take his pain meds, a steroid, 2 anti-seizure meds, a special mouth wash, and occasionally an anti-anxiety med.
The boys are happy to have their daddy home, but it is a little difficult for them too. Mark cannot handle noise or too much movement around him, so it makes it hard for the boys to be boys. They really try to be on their best behavior. They have said some more things that are pretty funny. One thing is that when they went to the hospital, they came in the room and saw Mark with the bandage on his head. Colin seemed a little uneasy about that, so he backed up to me and said, “Mommy, did they cut Daddy’s head off?” Yesterday, when my friend Lisa brought Carter home from CLC, she reminded him to be quiet when he got inside. He said to her, “That’s ok. We can be wild now because Daddy got that thing out of his head.” This is just so hard to make an almost 5 year old understand!
We were blessed with a few more sweet friends coming to visit us at the hospital. Since it was so far away, we were not expecting to get visitors, so we were amazed at the number of people that came to show their love. It was very nice!
There was a moment yesterday after we got home, that things were difficult for us. Mark was trying to tell me something, but he just couldn’t communicate it to me. He has some struggles with his thinking now, which we know will get better over time, but it makes him very frustrated that he can’t think of the words to say. He got upset with me that I didn’t know what he wanted, so I got my feelings hurt and couldn’t hold back the tears. He felt really bad about that. He is the one that had the major brain surgery, but it has been more difficult on me than I ever would have imagined. I do know that God will lead us through this time and I have to learn how to deal with things like this.
My mom blessed us with a meal last night, and we had a huge blessing from Colin’s Kindergarten Class. The students each made a card for Mark. They were so cute and some were just hilarious! They used phonetic spelling and drew cute pictures of hospital stuff. We will treasure those forever.
I have been taking pictures all along the way so that I can do a scrapbook to chronicle this whole journey. Maybe I will post some pictures soon. I took a picture of Mark’s head when his bandage was off, but he doesn’t want to see it yet.
We are hoping to hear from pathology soon. I hate waiting! Maybe it will be today. I’ll post as soon as we know anything though.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Becky, it's Gayla Cruikshank...soon to be your friend through this journey. Thank you for checking out my blog (www.bdcshank.blogspot.com) and I'll thank Kimberly for passing it along to you.
    I totally get the anxiety of waiting for pathology. We finally got Bryan's results last week, as you read from the blog. The waiting game was very trying, but we made it. They said that it was good that it was taking so long; that if it were cancer they would have been able to tell us right away. They just found it was a very rare tumor that was unidentifiable at first, but finally said it was benign.
    I want you to please call me anytime you need to talk. 214-533-4260. Also, my email is gaylacruikshank@yahoo.com, so we can communicate privately rather than through the blog. I will check back often to read updates.
    Hang in there, girl. Keep the faith and continue to pray for miraculous healing. It DOES work. Please tell Mark to listen to the doctors and do EVERYTHING they say. Don't rush or push anything, and take all meds when required. I did the same thing with the calendar...otherwise it would have been impossible to keep up with.

    You can do all things through Christ who gives you strength!
    Gayla Cruikshank

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky,
    Please tell Mark that Bryan would be happy to stop by for a visit if he wants. Bryan knows what it's like to sometimes want, and other times not want, company. If there's any opportunity for us to bring by a meal and visit or not, we'd love to. Where can I find your Care Calendar?
    Gayla

    ReplyDelete