I’m sorry it’s been a few days since my last update. We’ve had quite a whirlwind last few days! We drove to Houston last Monday night for Mark’s appointment on Tuesday morning at MD Anderson. We spent HOURS at the hospital meeting with many different doctors. Mark decided that he for sure wanted to do treatment with them, so we got things set for that. He did his simulation with the radiation team so that he would be all ready to start today. They wanted Mark to keep his appointments he had that Wednesday, so we drove home last Tuesday night after he finished everything at the hospital. We went to his appointment with his local Neuro-Oncologist Wednesday morning. We really liked her. She showed us his post-op MRI and that there were a couple of places “lit up” on it. She said they could possibly be tumors, so she felt like it would be important for Mark to get another MRI before treatment started. She knows Mark’s radiation Dr. at MD Anderson really well, so she called her. We got a call about an hour later from a nurse at MDA telling Mark that he needed to go there right away for an MRI. His dad offered to drive him there because I could not miss the doctor’s appointment I had scheduled the next day with my Neurosurgeon. So, I called to cancel the appointment he had that afternoon with the neurologist and he headed back to Houston for the 2nd time in 2 days. He had his MRI that night and then came back the next morning. We still haven’t gotten the results from that scan. He has an appointment each Tuesday, so we will hopefully find out this morning about that when he meets with her. We are now in Houston and getting settled into our temporary apartment. It’s pretty nice and very close to the hospital and several food places. There is a shuttle from here that we can take to and from the hospital. That will help us to avoid any parking fees.
In other news, I did have my appointment with my neurosurgeon last week. He says I NEED to have surgery on my back right away. He asked me about having surgery here in Houston, but I just don’t feel like that would be in Mark’s best interest right now. The doctor is just worried about permanent damage. He said the longer I wait for surgery, the more chance there is of scarring to happen and then I could continue to have this pain even after they do the surgery. I certainly don’t want that, but I just don’t feel like I have a choice right now. I promised him that I would make an appointment as soon as I get back from Houston and then get the surgery scheduled. So, I am just staying medicated now to deal with the pain until I get back home and can have the surgery.
Mark’s first day of radiation went well. He said it was kind of strange, but he did fine. He has tolerated his Chemo really well so far. He has had no sickness, so I pray that continues for his whole treatment. We are going to rent a DVD or two today after his treatment for us to watch tonight. It’s so strange to have so much quiet time. We are really missing the boys already. I am excited for this weekend to get here so we can see them. We are planning on going to the aquarium here on Saturday. I know the boys will just love that. Well, I guess that I will end this for now. It’s time for us to start getting ready to leave for today’s treatment. Thank you for continuing to pray for us!